Feats of Fitness!
All applicants must meet our basic fitness requirement to be considered for the candidate class.
The fitness requirement is straightforward: Carry a 25 pound pack over a 4 mile distance with a 1,500 elevation gain in one hour and 35 minutes. Everyone gets two attempts to qualify. Bring your own pack. The scheduled qualification dates are below.
Feel free to give the course a test hike before qualification day so there are no surprises. Many people improve their times significantly after a practice try.
If you have any questions about your fitness, get you doctor's approval before attempting the course!
Qualification Day- Covid-19 Considerations
If you signed up and are not feeling well, DO NOT attend! Send a email to: email@example.com and let us know.
Social distancing protocols will be followed. Masks are required at the checkin table. We are starting people in 10 minute intervals, in the order you arrive in the start window you signed up for.
- When you arrive, get yourself ready at your car. This includes removing your water and preparing your pack for weigh in. Your pack needs to weigh 25 lbs, without water. You should weight check your pack before leaving home.
- Once you are ready to go, put your mask on, bring your pack and water to the check-in area (~5 minutes before your start time)
- We will quickly get you signed in, weigh your pack, answer route questions and send you on your way
- When you finish the route, come directly to the check in area to sign-out/get your time.
- Return to your car to rest, stretch, eat, rehydrate, etc
Weather: Check the weather and plan your attire appropriately.
Location: Google map link- It starts just off Lucas Valley Road at the tennis courts located on Creekside Dr. San Rafael. The courts are across the street from the Lutz fire road where you finish the course. Continue counterclockwise from the tennis courts around the loop.
Checkin: The picnic table next to the tennis courts.
Parking: Please park on the street. The tennis court lot is small, and the tennis players use these spots.
- Cell service is sketchy at the tennis courts. Don't count on making a call.
- Cell and radio’s do not work between tennis courts and the lower part of the Goat trail (just after the trailhead)
- There are no restrooms anywhere near or on the course. Plan ahead.
- Beware the trail split at the ‘Y’! Many have missed the turn and go off the course. See image 8 below
- Questions? Recruiting@cal-esar.org