Members of the various Nordic Ski Patrols throughout the state conduct most back country winter operations in California. These highly trained individuals have extensive training under these conditions, and are the logical choice for these operations. However, snow can fall during any month in the Sierras. As a result of this, it is important for every member to know how to travel safely in the snow, and how to build fires & construct shelters during winter conditions.
Duration: 2 days
Start time: to be announced
End time: to be announced
Dodge Ridge and Pinecrest Nordic Back Country
- Winter travel issues & techniques
- Avalanche safety
- Building snow caves & other shelters
- Building fires in the snow
- Preventing & treating hypothermia
- Clothing selection
- Food selection & preparation
- Evacuating and treating the injured person.
How to participate
This is a optional class conducted by Pinecrest Nordic Ski Patrol. To participate in this class:
- Use this link to sign up and pay through the Pinecrest Nordic Ski Patrol.
- Under registration, we recommend you use the "Scouting/ESAR $50" registration fee. This fee includes the course textbook. If you think you can go without the text, use the "Scouting, ESAR No Book" fee. Members may share a textbook.
- Let the unit know you're going and carpool sign up at this link ESAR notification and Carpool