Medical Training Standards
Cal-ESAR Medical Training Requirements
Medical training is a essential skill in SAR operations and an very valuable life skill in general. Cal-ESAR members have become first responders for bike accidents, cardiac events and drownings in the course of general life, not to mention lower leg injuries which are a common event seen during operations in Yosemite.
Cal-ESAR contracts with certified instructors to conduct our basic course and supplements their instructor staff with our own members that have advanced medical training. The goal of this approach is to provide excellent training at a cost lower than commercially available classes. Our outside contractors provide specialized training resources, (CPR training dummies, supplies, etc) and instructor staff skilled in teaching. Cal-ESAR staff with advanced first responder medical training assist during hands scenario exercises, critical to skill development, to keep the student-teacher ratio low.
If candidates come to Cal-ESAR with current medical certifications from organizations called out below they are not required to take the medical skills class run by the unit. A PDF copy of a current medical certification card needs to be provided to the unit Secretary (via email address 'firstname.lastname@example.org' to satisfy the unit medical requirement.
- Wilderness 1st Aid
- American Red Cross: Wilderness First Aid courses
- American Heart Association: Heartsaver First Aid
- ASHI: Basic 1st Aid for First Aid Providers
- American Red Cross: CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- American Heart Association: BLS Healthcare Provider
- ASHI: CPR Pro for the Professional Rescuer
To reach and maintain Certified status, each member must have attended at least the following medical training and renew the certification as it expires:
- Emergency Medical Responder
- American Red Cross: Emergency Response
- American Heart Association: First Responder
- ASHI: First Responder
These requirements are maintained by the Training Director and will be modified as dictated by OES.