Intro to Navigation
As search & rescue personnel, it is very important to *not* get lost in the backcountry (even when technology fails), and to be able to navigate precisely. This goal of this class is to introduce the use of a map and compass, and teach the basics of selecting routes and describing locations in the backcountry.
Duration: 2 days
Start time: Saturday, November 10 at 8:30 AM
End time: Sunday, November 11 at 3:00-ish PM
The basic navigation course has a classroom portion at the Estuary & Ocean Science Center at the Romberg Tiburon Campus. Some practical exercises and our campsite will be at Paradise Beach Park.
Enter through the North Gate and park in the lot, then follow the ESAR signs to the conference room.
Paradise Beach Park
- Map reading & interpretation
- Use of map scales
- Declination corrections
- Symbol interpretation
- Map care
- Finding and following bearings with a compass
- Using a compass with a map
- Fundamentals of terrain interpretation & route selection
- Describing your location to others
- Improvised direction-finding
Saturday is a classroom and field day, Sunday will be a all day field day.
- Bring a pen and/or pencil. Course materials will be provided.
- Bring your own meals for this:
- 2 lunches you can take in the field
- a breakfast and dinner to be cooked at the campsite
- Expect cold, windy weather, possibly wet. Dress accordingly!
- The campsite has few trees, so plan to bring trekking poles or something similar.
- Bring along your tarps/lines/stakes from Outdoor Skills to use for your shelter.
Bring a mapping compass with a mirror if you have it. Leave your lensatic or military-style compass at home, it will only get in the way and slow you down. We have a limited number of loaners.
The unit will place a group order of compasses before this class, and people who order a compass will get them first thing in the morning. The unit standard compass is a Suunto MC-2/260/D/CM/IN/NH. The cost for the compass as part of the group purchase is $45.
08:30 Arrive at Conference Center
09:00 Training Starts
13:00 Training Continues
15:30 Compass/Triangulation Practice
17:00 Shelter setup/dinner at Paradise Beach Park (bring your own dinner and stove (or share with a buddy)
19:00 Night compass exercise
20:30 Evening topics
22:00 Lights out
07:00 Breakfast (bring your own)
07:30 Shelter Eval/Take down
08:00 Triangulation Part 2
09:00 Field Exercise Briefing
09:30 Field Exercise (Lunch in the Field)
13:30 Exercise debrief/follow-up exercise
14:30 Course debrief/upcoming Event briefing
15:00 Intro Nav Complete